Your typical Wild North reader doesn’t have a whole lot of time to sit down, watch TV, kick their feet up and relax. Who has time for that when there’s brush to clear, guns to clean, food plots to plant, and dogs to train? With all that to do, podcasts aren’t on most of our radar. I was the same way, until recently. I always have my phone on me, and I figured out I could listen to podcasts while doing those chores. Chore time got a lot easier with entertainment and information being piped right into my head.
Are Podcasts new to you?
Many of us don’t even know what a podcast is. We’ve heard the word, but how many have actually sat down and listened to one? Not many. Wikipedia defines a podcast as:
A podcast is a digital medium consisting of an episodic series of audio, video, PDF, or ePub files subscribed to and downloaded through web syndication or streamed online to a computer or mobile device.
Bam. Basically a radio show in digital format. Easy enough.
How do I listen to a podcast?
Easy enough. On your computer, simply click play or download them in Itunes. But we are focusing on mobile devices here. Many of the more popular podcasts have apps you can download, but that will only get you one specific podcast.
If you have an android phone, head over here and find the app that looks best for you: http://www.heavy.com/tech/2013/08/top-best-podcast-apps-for-android-2013/
If you have an Iphone, check this out: Itunes.
I like to Hunt. What should I listen to?
Now that you have figured out how to download the podcasts, you need to figure out what to listen to. As a hunter, a lot of the time I like to listen to podcasts about hunting. That makes sense, eh? I’ve listened to quite a few, but here are a few you might enjoy if you are a hunter looking for a podcast, in no particular order:
1. The Bow Hunters Journal – This one hasn’t been updated in quite some time, but there is a ton of good info here if you are into bow hunting, or archery at any level. Good info that really gets exciting as the host get’s into archery season.
2. The Hunt Fish Journal – Hosted by Dan and Greg, this podcast focuses on all things hunting and fishing. Some great guests, some great interviews and two hosts that are pretty decent to listen to. They cover everything from coyote hunting to bass fishing, and everything in between.
3. Up North Journal Podcast – This sounds like something we would like here at The Wild North, eh? Well, it is! These guys are based in Michigan as well, and have shows covering everything from Ducks to night time racoon hunts. They haven’t updated in awhile, but they have close to 300 episodes of old material that is well worth a listen.
4. BowHunt or Die – I’m not a huge archery guy, but man, this is a good podcast. They go step by step through food plots, arrow selection, broadheads, everything. They LOVE bowhunting and it really shows from listening to just a few episodes.
5. Mike Avery’s Outdoor Magazine Radio – Out of all of these podcasts for hunters I’m listing here, this is by far my favorite. Mike Avery is based in Michigan, and I’m lucky enough to live where his radio show is on every Saturday. This is the podcast I catch every single week, and especially if you are an outdoorsman or hunter living in Michigan, this is the podcast to catch. He covers topics that are current in nature, and really does a good job of covering all sides of an issue.
This list will give you a good start on finding podcasts for hunters. I’m sure you’ll branch out, and find more you like from there! Feel free to fill us in on any of your favorites in the comments below!